The role: Product Designer
AppSignal has a new opening for a designer on our product team. You'll work alongside developers and the product lead to make AppSignal the most beautiful and easy-to-use monitoring tool.
You'll work on the AppSignal product and help design new and redesign existing features. We have implemented a new design system over the last year, which we want to continue investing in over the next year. We believe this will pay off in productivity and a beautiful and consistent experience for our customers.
AppSignal is a product by and for developers. We love to actually ship things, and our product is full of interesting design challenges. You can also contribute by designing for our homepage, blog, and documentation. We'll soon have another job opening for a brand designer, with whom you'll work together closely.
Your level of experience
The role is suitable for mid-level/senior-level designers. You should be capable of bringing designs from idea to execution independently. But don't worry, we're a very supportive team. We enjoy working closely together and believe in the value of having designers involved throughout the product development process.
Please apply even if you doubt if you are experienced enough. We would hate to miss out on an amazing designer because you underestimated yourself!
Your design skills
We're still growing the design team, so wearing a bunch of hats is sometimes needed. We are looking for the skills below, but you don't have to check all the boxes. We'll figure out together how to fill the role and are happy to help you develop your skills in any of these areas.
Together with the product lead, you'll take rough ideas and shape them into concrete changes within our product, focusing on fulfilling the user's needs.
Design easy-to-use interfaces, working with the design system as much as possible. We try to keep our UI simple, clean and focused. It makes us happy when our customers compliment us on how beautiful our product looks.
It’s useful to know how designs are implemented. You don't have to be a CSS wizard, but some knowledge of HTML/CSS (and maybe Tailwind CSS) is needed in working with our design system. If you're new to front-end development or Tailwind, we'll help you get to the right level.
Our tools of choice
These are some of the tools we currently use to build our designs:
- Tailwind CSS
- A bit of code
- GitHub (Projects)
- Slack, Zoom, Basecamp
- Shape Up
You'll be part of the product team, with developers and the product lead. Here's full a list of things you'll work on:
Shaping new features
The product manager (and the team) suggests new features and product improvements. You'll help shape these rough ideas into more concrete proposals. This helps us decide what projects to include in the development cycles.
Designing new features
Once we decide that we're building something, you'll design more detailed mockups. We use our design system as much as possible. You're responsible for creating new components or redesigning components. Developers will take these designs and start implementing them.
Maintaining the design system
AppSignal’s design system is your domain. Create new components, design UI patterns, and make sure that all the parts fit together perfectly.
Shape your own role
We're a small team that ships great things, and there's loads of flexibility to cater to your interests. We know creatives don't like to sit still, and there are many areas to dive into:
- User research
- User testing
- Product metrics
- Frontend development
- A/B testing
What you have to offer
- You are a designer with at least three years of experience.
- Excellent English communication skills, in speaking and writing.
- You love (to start) working in a remote team.
- You love the idea of working on a data-heavy developer tool for power users.
- You like to work in a way that makes the world a bit better, in a team that tries to make things better for developers and ourselves every day.
- You like to work at an informal company (no, that's not a codeword for chaos in the workplace; we've been running businesses since 2002).
- You like to work in a growing, profitable company with a proven business model and an experienced team.
- You like working with developers, designers, customer care folks, and finance people.
- You like to develop yourself. You can receive coaching from a coaching company, and we offer a personal development budget so you can keep learning.
What we have to offer
- Competitive salary, based on skills and experience.
- A MacBook that can handle 12 Figma tabs.
- Budget to rent a workplace because we believe remote working can be better when not-from-home.
- Unlimited vacation days (with a minimum of 20 days).
- Budget of EUR 500 a year to donate to a good cause of your choice to make the world a bit better.
- Personal budget of EUR 1200 a year for things like books, courses, conferences, etc.
- Room to grow: There are ongoing opportunities to learn more and take on new responsibilities.
- You'll be employed directly at AppSignal, through an EOR, or long-term contracting based on your location and personal preferences.
- This is a remote job, but we meet (under normal, non-COVID circumstances) once a year in The Netherlands. You're invited to join the rest of the team if you are able to (expenses covered).
We're a company of people from all sorts of education and backgrounds, each with our talents and flaws. But we would love to be even more diverse in thought and background. And more diverse in talents and flaws too.
We welcome people of all backgrounds, ages, genders, and orientations to apply for this position. Join us if you value a company where you can feel safe, and work with a diverse team. We want you to feel that you make a difference by doing your best work and that the rest of the team also sees and values that.
If you have any questions about what it's like to work at AppSignal, you're welcome to contact one of our internal counselors. Your questions will stay confidential, so they will not be shared internally, and will certainly not influence your hiring chances.
Why you'll love working with us
At AppSignal we do more than help developers, and try to be amazing in everything we do. From design, the blog, to code quality, and support, our upgrade policies, and business operations.
If you like how we work together at AppSignal, you should apply. Our salaries are competitive, and we have some great perks, but our vision and culture should be the primary reason you want to work with us.
Applying from outside the Netherlands
For this role, we prefer applicants to reside within the CET timezone, + or - 2 hours. This is a remote job, but we occasionally meet in the Netherlands. We prefer that you reside at a reasonable travel distance (train journey or short flight), but feel free to apply even if you live a bit further away.
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.