Dimagi is a social enterprise and Benefit Corporation that builds software solutions and provides technology consulting services to improve the quality of essential services for underserved populations. Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Dimagi partners alongside governments, leading NGOs, and foundations such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, USAID, and the World Bank to tackle complex health and social inequities. Our open-source technology platform, CommCare, is the world’s most widely-used and researched mobile data collection platform for frontline workers. To date, Dimagi’s team of project managers, engineers, and health experts have supported over 2,000 projects in 80 countries.
About the position:
Dimagi is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Global Technology team. This position will be working remotely with our team based in the United States.
When COVID-19 came to the US, Dimagi sprung into action. We were among the first on the scene to support efforts in the United States, rolling out a web-based contact tracing system for the City of San Francisco in a few weeks. Today, our US Health Division works on COVID-19 Response to roll out statewide and local contact tracing technology and is expanding into a variety of public health use cases across the US. This position will be part of Dimagi’s US Health Division’s Technology team, a set of skilled engineers, product managers, application engineers, and data specialists supporting current and future project work by continually improving Dimagi’s CommCare platform and related software.
This position is ideal for someone who enjoys small organizations, multi-tasking, and a highly flexible work environment. Our developers share a passion for making things work in challenging situations and seeing the impact of our work first-hand.
Our Global technology team helps develop and improve our platform’s architecture design for expressing end-to-end system workflows, both at the functional and technical levels. Since CommCare is used for applications related to many different types of problems, from agricultural extension education to improving delivery outcomes at birth, the software is written as a portable application engine. That means we don’t often build custom code for specific projects.
Responsibilities of this role:
- Build new features using modern best practices such as version control, continuous integration, automated tests, and daily deploys
- Collaborate with our multicultural development and implementation teams around the globe
- Build software usable by groups of people facing unique challenges (remote locations, low literacy levels, no experience with technology, etc.)
- Mentor and coach junior engineers
- Brainstorm ideas on how to improve our software design and development process continually
- Work as part of a team to deliver product features and functionality
Who You Must Be:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experienced in developing enterprise-quality software in a high-level language such as Python or Ruby
- Background in building software for the web
- Experienced in leading architecture and design decisions
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the Django framework
- Ability to mentor and assist junior developers
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Enthusiasm about working in public health and international development
- Familiarity with open-source technology
We aim to make a difference, not just as a company, but as an employer as well. Given our social mission, our budgeted salary scale is more in-line with that of a non-profit organization. However, the benefits we offer are geared towards having a strong impact on our staff’s well being. A few of our key benefits are outlined below:
- Access to a Health Spending Account with an employer contribution of $166 CAD per month
- Access to a RRSP employer match of up to 4% of base salary
- 30 days paid time off inclusive of public holidays
- Unlimited sick time and personal emergency leave days
- Access to a flex-time policy that allows employees to work based on a flexible work schedule
- Access to Life, AD&D, and LTD insurance benefits
- Access to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) through Magellan Healthcare
Dimagi is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate and support diversity and are committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender identity and expression, national origin, family or parental status, veteran or disability status.
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.