WHO WE ARE
At American Meadows, we like to say that we Do Good Through Gardening. Our primary focus is to be great at providing home gardeners with the products and knowledge they need to succeed. We work to accomplish this by combining top-quality products, a staff that’s passionate about what we do, the latest in technology and proven direct-to-consumer methods. If that sounds intriguing, read on...
Gardeners work very hard for results that often do not arrive for months or even years. We want to inspire and inform customers while also closing the sale. We are always looking for ways to offer the right products to customers in the ways they want to learn and shop.
WHO YOU ARE & WHAT YOU’D DO
You’re passionate and knowledgeable about plants and have a competitive streak in you. Although you may or may not view yourself as a “salesperson,” you thrive with the challenge of winning in a business environment. Our Category Managers own our results in multiple product categories, in this case our flower bulbs, wildflower seed, cacti, and perennial plants for our High Country Gardens brand. That means that you must work to source the right products for our customers and deliver the plan to hit our margin goals. You need to be equally comfortable with dirt under your nails and grinding away at analysis and Excel forecasting while building seasonal assortment strategies and product stories that continue to amaze our customers.
ABOUT HIGH COUNTRY GARDENS
Our first greenhouse opened in Santa Fe, New Mexico in 1984. We set out to transform western gardening by cultivating and growing exclusive, native, and unique perennials and cacti not found in the marketplace. Today, High Country Garden’s is a leader in sustainable gardening committed to bringing beauty and enriching ecosystems by focusing on natural nectar, habitat creation, and living soil. We own and operate our new greenhouse in Clinton, Utah and many of our exclusive and unique offerings still found, selected, and propagated by our chief horticulturist, David Salman.
ACCOUNTABILITIES & SUCCESS MEASURES:
The following chart reflects how you’d spend your time and the measures of success:
Accountability: Category Business Performance | Priority: 1 | Time: 40%
- Category Business Performance
- P&L goals achieved across all High Country Gardens categories.
- Long-range growth strategies.
- Visibility across the organization to the brand’s sales & market trends.
- Achieve sales & margin plan.
- In depth knowledge of the High Country Gardens customer, marketplace and competition.
Success Factors: _
- Continued collaboration with all internal departments to achieve optimal brand growth across all business segments.
- Exploration of new segments & stronger supply chain.
- Provide products and sources to support growth goals.
- Clear data views and succinctly articulated insights in weekly business meeting, post-season hindsight meeting, and pre-season product line review.
- Complete a seasonal promotional calendar in collaboration with Marketing and Planning resources.
- Creation of compelling products and stories for outbound marketing campaigns, in collaboration with the Marketing Department.
- Deliver on all Product Calendar milestones.
- A data-driven approach to decision-making and a focus on execution.
Accountability: Product Assortment | Priority: 2 | Time: 40%*
- Yearly increased growth, revenue and profit through product assortment and pricing, while maintaining the brand’s position as a leading authority in the industry.
- On-time delivery of and clearly defined Sales & Margin plan for upcoming seasons to stakeholders.
- Successful supplier relationships for optimized product assortment, item costs, in-stock management, and issue resolution.
Success Factors: _
- Ongoing product assortment evaluation and competitive list pricing.
- Source new products based on past sales performance and competitor and market trends.
- Delete products from assortment to maximize return on investment (ROI) of inventory and the customer experience.
- Successful and on-time creation of category plan(s) to support financial goals of the company.
- Seasonal Line Reviews that outline path to achieve Sales & Margin Plan.
- Lead cross-functional execution of upcoming season with shared focus on highest leverage opportunities.
- Fostering of supplier relationships that allow us to meet margin goals.
- Continuous improvement in customer satisfaction metrics.
Accountability: Planning & Inventory Management | Priority: 3 | Time: 20%*
- Leverage the seasonal financial Plan and Forecast to identify category trends, risks and opportunities.
- Maximize demand and in-stock inventory while minimizing markdowns and overstock items.
Success Factors: _
- On-time creation of seasonal Plan and consistently updated Forecast numbers.
- Accurate historical data and forecasted trends with Business Intelligence tools.
- Inventory plans that minimize both holding time and lost demand.
- Maintain Assortment Planner, Demand Model curves, and Item Forecasts.
- Knowledge of and a passion for gardening.
- Measurable revenue-generating and quantitative experience.
- Understanding of selling through online channels.
- Ability to demonstrate past success in developing and executing to a budget.
- High degree of competency within all phases of project management, e.g. issue and risk identification and management, change management, tracking dependencies and milestones, communication of overall project status.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask while meeting deadlines each day. Uses good judgment in making decisions as part of a dynamic group of professionals working towards a variety of goals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Measurable skills in Excel and experience with an inventory/order processing system.
- Willingness/Ability to travel to visit vendors and attend industry events.
- Team-minded individual who handles deadlines, is self-motivated and looks to grow their skills while fostering a collaborative and enjoyable work environment.
- Willingness to ‘do what it takes’ to contribute to the success of a small, growing business.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The usual, but very important, things like health, vision, dental and pet insurance (which the company contributes to), as well as a matching retirement plan and company paid Life Insurance and Disability. Also, time away to rejuvenate is very important so we offer Paid Time Off and paid holidays. Lastly, we invest in our people and we will help you further your education (Master Gardener, Advanced Vegetable Gardening Certification, Leadership training, and so much more)!
- Team Incentive program – based on hitting quarterly company project & financial goals.
- A fun-loving team of plant nerds who are looking to make the world a little better – one wildflower at a time
- A few well-behaved dogs who offer up free puppy kisses, their bellies to scratch, and a paw shake if you’ll give them a cookie : -)
- Fully stocked kitchen of mostly healthy snacks, but sometimes a plate of nachos is just what you need!
- Discounts on all American Meadows and High Country Gardens products because we want you to dig in and have the opportunity to grow a beautiful garden!
- Full usage of company fitness room, free in-house (currently online while we work remote) yoga classes, and the opportunity to join us for free company events (when we’re able to responsibly distance from one another).
The position will offer a salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package. Depending on timing, this role may have a Product Manager as a direct report. Interested parties are to send Step 1 (mandatory) and a resume to our Staff Happiness Jedi. Step 1 is simple: In a few short paragraphs, tell us about your dream garden. What cool plants would you include? What would the theme be and why? This is not intended to be a writing assignment, rather a chance for you to initiate an informed conversation about the core elements of this role.
American Meadows is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Schedule
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Professional Development Assistance
- Referral Program
- Retirement Plan
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vision Insurance
The majority of our staff are working from home but staff are welcome to come into the office. We're adhering to all safety protocols for anyone entering the building; desks are 6+ feet distanced, capacity limits in all spaces & daily health screenings.
- Category Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Have you completed Step 1 of the application process? Please see job description for details
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.