The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the administration of payroll functions directed by the payroll manager and process semi-monthly gross-to-net payroll cycles for 600+ employees in multi-union and non-union positions. Processing payroll in Paycom payroll software, including but not limited to all earnings and deductions. Comply with all federal, state, local wage and hour laws as well as internal payroll policies with established corporate standard operating policies and procedures. Position involves consistently securing highly detailed and confidential information. This position requires high attention to detail with the highest level of accuracy, while sustaining ability to meet tight deadlines simultaneously working to accomplish periodic department goals. Ensures monthly, quarterly, and yearly payroll-related reporting requirements to the state and government agencies are executed and audited properly and timely with coordination of the payroll manager.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Daily review of hourly employee timecards; Ensure accuracy and compliance along with approval from employee and supervisor, including regular hours worked, overtime worked, and PTO are entered and calculated correctly.
- Maintain employee database; Assign and classify employees appropriately; Ensure the accuracy of employee pay-rates, PTO accrual rates, and employee reporting structure.
- Process semi-monthly payroll by incorporating all data from employee timecards, employee benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, life, 401(K), fringe benefits, voluntary and Federal & State mandatory deductions. Process special payroll at the direction of Management.
- Ensure payroll is processed with high level of accuracy and completion by required deadline. Review and audit all payroll data prior to submission and immediately following the submission to ensure it is processed properly without discrepancies. Review all quarterly payroll data and ensure it meets the Federal and State deposit and reporting requirements.
- Complete and respond to the state/court notice for employee garnishments and withholding orders. Maintain a database of reconciliation per pay period, and ensure proper payment processing in Paycom
- Identify payroll related issues for management to review and provide insight to operations managers based on reporting. Recommend process improvements and procedures for compliance with payroll deductions and reporting requirements using reporting to identify areas of improvement
- Leverage the payroll system reporting capability, using standard and/or customized report and develop automated management reports on pay-data.
- Provide registration, timecard, and device usage in relation to payroll by providing training for new hire orientations and supervisors as needed. Provide system-related guidelines. Answer employee’s payroll-related questions and resolve problems on a timely basis.
- Develop and manage a secure filing system for all confidential information in written and/or electronic formats, including pay data, employee information, state filings and state registrations.
- Assist in providing payroll information for company requests from Human Resources
- Works closely with Human Resources to manage employee database and audit employee profiles
- Perform special projects as directed or as situation dictates.
- 5 yrs. plus experience leading hands on full life cycle payroll in a union based environment.
- Strong knowledge with different payroll systems such as ADP, PAYCOM, Kronos, etc. (Preferrably Paycom)
- Valid CA Drivers license and Clean MVR.
- High school diploma/GED required OR equivalent work experience in lieu of
- A bachelor’s degree and/or three to five years’ human resource experience
- Ability to multitask in a fast pace work environment
- Math Skills – Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra
- Computer Skills –Essential technical competencies in the use of computers and standard business applications; Microsoft Excel and Word processing software; and be proficient on applicable databases, systems and vendor software programs.
- Be able to work in a team oriented environment, maintain a positive attitude at all times, and be able to assist the team/department to complete goals.
- Use logic & reasoning to identify the strengths & weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with client, supervisor and coworkers
- Strong interpersonal skills and customer service oriented
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English with at least 95% comprehension (Bilingual Spanish Prefferd)
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Project Management.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Ethical Conduct.
- Time Management
- Requires regular attendance and/or physical presence at the job
- Fast paced, high volume, detail oriented work environment
- Lift up to 15 pounds unassisted.
- Requires extensive use of hands (ability to reach over, bend and extend hands) 20%
- Reach above and below shoulder height, constant walking, standing in or sitting in one place for long periods of time, bending, stooping, lifting, kneeling, etc. 80%
- Work in varying temperature environments (internal and external parts of the building)
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the cyclical nature of the industry, team members may be required to work varying shifts and schedules, including nights, weekends, and holidays, to support company operating requirements and ensure business continuity.
Job Description Acknowledgment Statement
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations and business continuity of the company. I understand that Medallion reserves the right to make changes to the role with or without prior notice.
I have received, reviewed and fully understand the job description for the Payroll Coordinator position. I further acknowledge that I have confirmed that I have the skills and meet the requirements to successfully perform this job. Furthermore, I understand that I am responsible for the satisfactory execution of the essential functions described therein, under any and all conditions as described. By signing below, you are confirming you read, understood, agree and received a copy of the above information.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) Matching
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Payroll: 2 years (Preferred)
- Do you have experience with Pivot Tables?
Do you have experience with V-Lookup?
Do you have experience working with Union Payroll?
Do you have experience working with Paycom?
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.