TL;DR: Fast-growing early-stage startup seeking VP Finance. In doing so, we’ll empower the most ambitious people in the world to build the future. Details below! (this is a fully remote role) About On Deck On Deck is where ambitious people grow, together On Deck is where the world's top talent comes to connect. Whatever it is our fellows want to do next, our ever-growing community and action-oriented programming will help them get there—fast. If our fellows want to learn something new to up-level their career, launch and scale big ideas, or make lifelong friends, this is the place. Role Overview We are looking for a VP Finance to build out our finance team and work with the rest of the leadership team. This is an incredibly exciting opportunity -- you'll get an inside seat at a company in blitz-scale mode and make a significant impact through your work. You will work closely with our team and executives to help us build the foundations that will enable us to continue to blitz-scale (we grew from 6 to 60 FTE in 2020 and just hit 150) and we look forward to supporting the person we partner with in building out a world-class finance team. We currently have a budding accounting function, so for this hire we’re focusing on financial strategy -- you’d be building the FP&A function, among others, from the ground up.As such, we're also looking to hire for this role ASAP. If you're ready to move fast, so are we. Let's chat. Who you are:
Strong strategic synthesizer -- You have deep experience in and ability to quickly synthesize complex financial metrics into a clear, actionable strategy. You’re not afraid to get into the weeds of a highly complex business and understand quickly which financial levers matter to us and outside investors.
Financial infrastructure builder, focused on execution -- You have strong experience building financial infrastructure from the ground up in a distributed or international setting. You’re high urgency, a strong manager of execution. You’re also highly process / systems oriented and have a sufficiently strong commercial / operational background to drive innovation.
Great team builder and manager -- Teams that report into you are inspired and excited to work for you. You can think critically about finance / org structure to support our next stage of blitz-scale. You’re also a strong culture promoter and have built high performing finance teams before.
Straightforward, compelling storyteller -- You’re a clear, concise communicator and straight-shooter on all things finance and budget. You’re optimistic, positive and credible. You also have had extensive exposure to the venture capital industry, handling M&A activity and have a granular understanding of the fundraising process.
You’re set up for success at On Deck -- You’ll be happy and accustomed to working for a complex business with dozens of products. You’re a champion of distributed work, promoting a remote-first environment spanning dozens of states and countries internationally. Why you might be excited:
- We’re tackling a big problem with even bigger potential. Participants in our existing Fellowships say great things about us.
- You’ll be able to work remotely and (mostly) set your own schedule. On Deck was a remote-first team even before COVID, so we know what makes for a great remote environment.
- You'll have a lot of flexibility in your role, and will be able to help define our financial infrastructure and approach going forward.
- We're backed by a who’s who of the biggest names in the venture investing world, including Village Global, Keith Rabois, Balaji Srinivasan, Bloomberg Beta, and so many more. (Read more about our Series A fundraise in this memo)
Why you might *not* be excited about us:
- We're small (150 people in the company now), so if you like more established companies, this role isn't for you. You'll help create our company's culture.
- We're an early stage start-up. Projects and priorities are likely to shift.
- Everyone on the team is extremely mission-driven, and works incredibly hard to push towards our lofty ambitions. Most people won’t be cut out for it.
- You should be comfortable with just a dash of chaos. This is not the kind of job where you show up and we tell you exactly what to do every day.
- On Deck is an unabashedly pro-start-up, pro-tech organization. If that’s not your thing, this isn’t the place for you.
If you were to join On Deck, we’d want you to really love it. We also know that it can be hard to tell from the outside looking in whether that would be the case for you. So, we challenged ourselves to come up with an honest set of reasons someone wouldn’t want to join our company. We hope it helps you make an informed decision about whether On Deck is a place you’d love to work.
- Another company’s mission would get you way more fired up
- You want a 9-5 job
- You do your best work in highly-structured, steady-paced, meticulously-planned environments
- You like finding and poking holes more than you like filling them
- You see differences as divisions
- You’re too cool for what’s mainstream
- You can read the details of why On Deck may not be the company for you on our Non-Values page.
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.