Product Director (Remote) at MoveOn
Full-time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Contiguous U.S.
Apply here: https://grnh.se/1878d3931us
Applications deadline: Friday October 29th, 2021 at 6pm EST
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice, and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive impactful, movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
To support this work, we’re looking for a Product Director to lead the Product team to ensure MoveOn’s website and digital tools consistently and effectively meet users’ needs, facilitate their action-taking, and mobilize ordinary people’s voices in our democracy at scale. In this role, you’ll be a key thought partner for both the Chief of Member Experience and the Chief Technology Officer. Big ideas are welcome: There’s room to drive digital innovation with a multidisciplinary team and discover the next breakthrough in progressive tech.
About MoveOn’s Product team and tools
The Product team is housed within MoveOn’s Member Experience department and currently consists of two Product Managers, two Designers, a Product Manager intern, and a QA contractor. We’re a highly collaborative, empathetic, and creative team from across the country and wear many hats. We aim to ensure that our products create impactful change, not just clicks.
We rely on multiple platform vendors, custom builds on top of third-party tools, and integrations to power our campaigning, and we also develop and maintain several products in-house. Some of our most critical platforms and vendors are ActionKit, ControlShiftLabs, WordPress, and Optimizely. Prior experience with these toolsets is not required; you’ll be supported in getting familiarized with all relevant toolsets.
- Lead a member-focused, innovative Product team to improve MoveOn’s existing digital tools and develop new products to drive member engagement with an eye towards equity, financial sustainability, member experience, and growth.
- Minimum 5 years of product management experience and 2-3 years of leadership experience.
- Supervise two Product Managers and one Lead Designer and support their continued professional development and project success.
- Lead high-risk product or feature decisions, transitions, and/or launches in close partnership with the Chief of Member Experience and tech leads.
- Oversee discovery, ideation, design, development, strategy, optimization, and implementation of new digital products across the organization.
- Manage the Product team’s budget, general staff resourcing decisions, and relationships with major technical vendors in partnership with the Chief of Member Experience.
- Build relationships and work across the organization with campaigners, email and mobile strategists, fundraisers, operations, and engineers to unblock work, decrease communication silos, and promote a shared understanding of product vision.
- Promote a culture of experimentation, data-informed decision-making, and member-listening across the organization, and support staff members in developing these skills.
A successful candidate will …
Default to learning: Create well-designed experiments to test assumptions, learn more quickly, and provide honest and detailed analysis to justify final recommendations.
Ruthlessly prioritize: Incorporate diverse and sometimes conflicting feedback to propose and defend decisions, and set high thresholds for interrupting current projects.
Be tech- and data-savvy: Have deep technical and analytical expertise (no coding required), orienting toward data-informed product decisions and proactively identifying and mitigating technical and security risks.
Champion human-centered design: Demonstrate empathy for users and creatively solve problems through brainstorming and testing solutions directly with members.
Communicate across differences: Have strong communication and writing skills, including being able to translate between technical and nontechnical audiences, surface tensions, drive to understanding, and make good use of management structures.
Think big and small: Have keen attention to detail and a highly dependable work ethic, including the ability to work well under pressure within a fast-paced, high-performing team and get deep into the weeds of a technical project while maintaining focus on the larger strategy.
Believe in MoveOn’s mission: Show interest in working toward a country where everyone can thrive, in democratizing technology, and in progressive activism, advocacy, campaigning, organizing, or politics.
Required skills and experience
- Previous management experience and commitment to coaching and developing supervisees and colleagues.
- Experience with setting product vision and roadmaps across a suite of consumer-facing products and objectives.
- Significant experience leading and evaluating product or feature launches from beginning to end and across technical and nontechnical teams.
- Strong organizational, project management, and general process management skills, including decision-making, documentation, and prioritization.
- Ability to communicate fluently with both technical and nontechnical staff and facilitate meetings to reach clarity in cross-team discussions.
- Strong user experience and analytical skills, including market research, user testing, journey mapping, A/B testing, build vs. buy decision-making, and familiarity with basic SQL and statistics.
- Commitment to developing a strong equity analysis and demonstrated understanding of, commitment to, and prioritization of racial justice, social justice, and accessibility, as well as experience working effectively with different constituencies.
- Self-directedness—MoveOn is a virtual office, and while you will interact with your colleagues constantly, you will be driving your own workflow and output. Excellent personal organization and time management skills are key.
Reports to: Chief of Member Experience
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $130,964.53. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy that varies based on your local cost of living. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays. We contribute 5% to your 401(k) after six months of employment. We also offer $1,000 in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
MoveOn.org Civic Action and MoveOn.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Please mention that you come from RemoteJobs
when applying for this job.